AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border
Highlighted

Analytics > Behavior > Content Drill down shows same page twice with different data outputs

Not applicable
# 1
Not applicable

When reviewing our analytics account, specifically under: Analytics > Behavior > Content Drill  I see the same page twice. For example:

Line 2 /all-parts/

Line 5 /all-parts

Please note line 5 does not have the trailing "/". The Pageviews count for each are different. Also, Line two has a folder icon toward the left allowing this line to be clicked and drilled down for more data. Whereas line 5 has a different icon and does not allow for the drill down. Why would I be seeing these both line 2 and 5 as opposed to just line 2 where I can get the depth?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Analytics > Behavior > Content Drill down shows same page twice with different data outputs

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

You problem is a SEO one. Normally, you have only one version of your page : yoursite.com/all-parts/ or yoursite.com/all-parts. You (or your dev) has to set a permanent redirect to one or another. For exemple, if somebody lands on yoursite.com/all-parts/, he will instantly be redirected to yoursite.com/all-parts.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Do the pages display different content/serve a different purpose to each other?
Also if you add a Secondary Dimension of Page Title, do they both report the same page title?

If they do both serve the same content, and display the same Page Title, then yes, @Bruno Guyot suggestion should definitely be looked into regarding the redirect.

If for some reason a redirect is not a viable solution, you can use a filter to fix the issue in the reporting going forward

https://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2015/12/10/basic-google-analytics-filters/#Append%20Slash%20to%20Re...

and then you may also want to look into sorting out the canonical url if a redirection is not going to be put in place

https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/139066?hl=en

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here