Analytics
4.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Analytics for website address that redirects

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, 

I have two domains, one ending in .com and another ending in .ca - our .ca address redirects directly to the .com domain. 

I want to create an offer code of sorts that is used in a printed flyer distributed in newspapers. I don't want to create a bitly because the suggested urls are not intuitive and will not be as appealing when I can't disguise their appearance with back end hyperlinking. 

I have set up a property in Google Analytics for each of the two domain addresses. Can you advise - if someone types in the address ending in .ca and is redirected to the address ending in .com, will Google Analytics register the visits to the .ca property?

Thanks!

Kate

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

The proper way to redirect it through DNS, and failing that it would be to use 301 redirects. Neither approach allows for GA tracking since the browser never actually 'lands' on a page on the .ca server.  If you do have a landing page on .ca, you need to ensure that the GA tracking code executes and registers the visit before redirecting...

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Re: Analytics for website address that redirects

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Mike. So are you able to describe a way in which we can make this
work to track visits to the .ca address?
Thanks!

~Kate

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

There would have to be a javascript redirect on the .ca page that sends the GA tracking hit first. Javascript is not my specialty, and it would have to be one of those pages that states 'if you are not redirected automatically in N seconds, click here...'

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.