Analytics
1.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Analytics definitions question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Good day.

I am unable to find a page of definitions of the terms used in GA.  Is there a specific definition of "user"?  Believe it or not, the exact wording of this is actually important.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Analytics definitions question

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Adam W,

The Users and Active Users metrics show how many users viewed or interacted with your site/app.

Analytics uses two different techniques for calculating Users for different kinds of report requests. As a result, you may notice discrepancies in Users in different reports. The information in this article also applies to the Active Users metrics.

Read the full definition per Google Analytics here

Please let us know if that helps.

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you. I read that page earlier. Although it discusses how users are calculated for some purposes, it doesn't provide GA's exact definition of a user.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adam W
September 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Adam W,

You are welcome. Sorry for providing content you already read. That has the meat of answer... and precisely: 

Google Analytics User: A boolean, either New Visitor or Returning Visitor.

From there, we can dig a little deeper. 

• A user may click your ad multiple times. When one person clicks on one advertisement multiple times in the same session, AdWords records multiple clicks while Analytics recognizes the separate pageviews as one session. This is a common behavior among users engaging in comparison shopping.
  • A user may click on an ad, and then later, during a different session, return directly to the site through a bookmark. The referral information from the original session is retained in this case, so the one click results in multiple sessions.
  • A user may click on your advertisement, but prevent the page from fully loading by navigating to another page or by pressing the browser's Stop button. In this case, the Analytics tracking code is unable to execute and send tracking data to the Google servers. However, AdWords still registers a click.
  • To ensure more accurate billing, Google AdWords automatically filters invalid clicks from your reports. However, Analytics reports these clicks as sessions on your website in order to show the complete set of traffic data.

Analytics measures both sessions and users in your account. Sessions represent the number of individual sessions initiated by all the users to your site. If a user is inactive on your site for 30 minutes or more, any future activity is attributed to a new session. Users that leave your site and return within 30 minutes are counted as part of the original session.

The initial session by a user during any given date range is considered to be an additional session and an additional user. Any future sessions from the same user during the selected time period are counted as additional sessions, but not as additional users.

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok, thank you. Hopefully that will suffice for those paid more than me.