Analytics
2.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Analytics View for blog section, not entire website

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all. I run my company's blog through our main website. We're a service company with several locations, so most of our web traffic is generated by users just looking up relevant information, and those analytics aren't very useful to me.

As the blog manager and content editor however, I'd love to be able to check out the analytics for pages on our blog and see which content is most engaging for our readers. I was wondering if it was possible to filter the Analytics View for only those pages? 

One potentially important thing to note is that we use Wordpress and our blog articles are created by "Add Post" as opposed to "Add Page," but that distinction isn't made in the url (e.g. our post urls look like companywebsite.com/name-of-article rather than something like companywebsite.com/blog/name-of-article). I'm not sure if that matters or makes it more difficult for Google Analytics to distinguish the difference between a blog post and any other page on the website, but thought I should mention it. 

Thanks for any help!

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mailee,

Depends on how your Google analytics code is implemented. You can use content grouping for your blog pages (https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2853546?hl=en)

If you can change the permalinks for those posts and append /blog/ then you can setup a filtered view to include only /blog/ pages

You would need to insert the following:

ga('set', 'contentGroup1', 'Blog');

Thanks,

Adam

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Simply,you can use content drill down option in Google analytics without any extra configuration.Then you can see which section/pages perform better in your website.Though content grouping is also a viable option.

Can u share the website url?

So i can advise more on it.

Re: Analytics View for blog section, not entire website

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Soumik, the website is https://touchstoneclimbing.com/ and the blog is https://touchstoneclimbing.com/blog/. I'd love to find a way to use content drilldown (I'm not very code savvy so the simpler the solution the better), but I haven't figured out how to filter just for blog posts. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Adam, thank you for your reply! This does sound like a viable solution, but I would have to change permalinks for hundreds of posts that way...hopefully there is a less work-intensive option.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I saw a blog section in your url already exists.

So just choose content drilldown.It do not neeed any configuration at ll.It is a report option under GA which you can find in behaviour>sitecontent>content drill down.Just then locate the blog section.Then click on the blog section you can see the details report.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mailee,

I'm not too familiar with WP, however, what you might be able to do is check the wordpress include files which are included on every blog page. You might be able to add a snippet of javascript which updates the page path so instead of the page appearing as '/2015/01/' in Google analytics you would see '/blog/2015/01/'.

javascript which would need adapting.

window.location.pathname

If you know any front end devs get them to check the wordpress include pages and see if there is one for the blog pages. Then get them to add some code to update the pagepath before Google analytics sends the pageview hit.

Thanks,

Adam

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Soumik, the blog section just takes you to the page /blog where a person can navigate to the blog articles, but the articles themselves are not organized that way. When I click the blog section in content drilldown, it only shows me analytics for the page /blog, not the pages of the blog.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Adam, thanks for the ideas. I was hoping it could be a little less complicated than that, but so far that sounds like the most likely solution. Our bad for not organizing the content to begin with!

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I don't think it would be too technical to implement. If you know any front end developers or friends they should be able to implement this solution quite quickly. 

It happens! This is the reason why I have a solution because i've made past mistakes with content but now I know moving forward what to look out for and what to consider in the future.