Analytics
3.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Analytics Reports Slow to Update

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I run multiple 5 million+ pageviews per month sites, with Analytics, and my day to day involves looking at the numbers and making sure things are running well. Since Monday May 2 or Tuesday May 3, I've noticed that all reports (custom and basic) are taking hours to update the current day's data. Right now it's 4pm, and I can only see data up to 7am. Usually this is around 1 hour behind, but these past few days it's been 8-10 hours behind. Is there something going on with Analytics? Or should I expect this to be the normal behavior from now on?

If anyone has information on this, I'd be grateful. Thanks! Smiley Happy

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Analytics Reports Slow to Update

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
The GA servers can have up to a 48 hour delay in processing information, while the 48 hour limit is not set in stone it is seldom realized usually it is within 24 hours.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Luis C,

It's generally unwise to use the current day's data before the day is over. The reason is because the data may not be complete, and also the data may not be completely processed - you'll see bits and pieces coming in, but it won't give you a complete and more accurate picture. Always best to wait until the next day to see the previous day's data.
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Nicky,

I do understand that the current day's data is not completely processed. It does, however, help give a general idea on how the day is going, albeit not exact. Before these past few days, for the 2-3 years I've been using Analytics on a daily basis, it usually updated much faster than it currently is. It might be something specific to my account, or it might be a general change. I know they recently implemented some new features in Analytics (ie. HTTPS everywhere), and I'm wondering if this new refresh time will be a permanent thing, or if it's temporary / an isolated case.

I understand it's a free service, but would love to know what to expect from now on, and if it's happening to anyone else or just me.

Thanks for your quick replies! Smiley Happy

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Luis it is random for me some days it seems to be very quick others it takes 24 hours or more.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi, Luis C,

I understand what you're saying and I agree sometimes one may need to use the current day's data in the standard reports. But that needs to be used with caution and can't be taken for granted. It comes with the territory. Smiley Very Happy If it were already a day later, and I'm seeing issues in processing times, then definitely I would raise some flags, but since it's the same day's data, I use it with the understanding that it may not be accurate and it may be fast sometimes and slow other times.

Bottom line: use with caution!

Nicky
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn