Analytics
2.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Analytics Reporting Way Off

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've been using Analytics for over 4 years now. I've never really had any issues and I've learned how to read my data and filter unwanted information.

However, I updated my homepage around the middle of last month and forgot to re-add the tracking code. Once I realized what I had done, 5 days later, I added it. 

To my issue- the tracking doesn't seem right since. One day in particular, Analytics says September 12th I had NO visitors. NOTHING. Very odd for a site that gets 300-500+ visitors EVERY day. Adsense states I had over 500 pageview and made some earnings. How is that if ANalytics says NO ONE VISITED.

Since there appears to be no way to contact Google and ask them why this reporting information is completely off, does anyone here know what is wrong and how I can fix it?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Analytics Reporting Way Off

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

Please check if your tracking tag is working properly using the Google Tag Assistant Chrome extension.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tag-assistant-by-google/kejbdjndbnbjgmefkgdddjlbokphdefk?h...

Let me know what you find.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Shelly,

There are a few ways you can check to see if the Google Analytics tracking code on your website is working.
1>First use tag assistant to find if there is any tracking issue.
2>Check your Real-Time reports - If you see data in these reports, it means that your tracking code is currently collecting data.
3>Check the Tracking Status in your property - Which tells you if your tracking code is working or not.
4>also check analytics code for any extra space.
5>Has anyone applied bot filter recentlt in your GA account?
Thanks
Santosh

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok, so I added the extension and checked it for my home page. It's telling me there are TWO analytic codes. I'm using Blogger so I went in and double checked the main HTML and the post (houses the main page) HTML and I only added the one code from Analytics and that number does not match the two that the extension is telling me it found.
So I did a view source to look at the codes all together. I only found one number the extension is claiming is on that page and I didn't find my code that I placed in the post. I do have ezoic.com analytic coding showing. Could that be messing with my information? How is it telling me there are two codes when I only placed one which isn't either of the UA numbers it's telling me it found.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Santosh. I'm trying out the tag assistant extension first. No one has access to change any filters except me and I haven't added any in over a month.

I did just check the Real Time and it says I've had 22 visitors today yet the reporting in Analytics says I've only had 1. So I went straight to my filters (the place I know of under Admin) and there's no changes.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi,

Did you add your property ID to blogger under Settings -> Other -> Google Analytics?
It seems that you don't have GA set up properly for your property.
Please check the setting I mentioned above.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok so I was incorrect on the current visitors. Using the Page Analytics extension for current page information- I didn't change the date. I feel that should show today only... but that's just me. IT's stating I've had zero visitors today. (I do have my own IP/info filtered out).
However, Adsense is stating I've had 100 pageviews and over 200 impressions. This is seriously frustrating.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Here's another question- how long does it take Tag Assistant to work? It's been open then closed and reopened 3x. On this last one, it's now showing me 5 analytic codes detected, two are the right ID code but one has a green tag with smilie and the other has blue tag with this- :0

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Tag Assistant shows what it finds immediately. If you could share your site URL we'd be glad to help you debugging.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ahh ok, thanks Arnold. My site is http://www.missedstitches.com