Analytics
2.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Analytic report shows my old url (property) and my new url (view)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

They both show different numbers- the property url's are higher numbers than the view url.  I have my old url (property) pointing toward my new url (view). I'm not sure which numbers are accurate.  Can I get the report to just show the one that's more accurate. Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Peter C
April 2016

Re: Analytic report shows my old url (property) and my new url (view)

Rising Star
# 13
Rising Star
Peter no do not delete the filter just create a new view but do not add any filters if you delete a filter it will start to track all your data but your metrics will look funny, so just create a new view but do not add any filters to it. Your data for the new view will start to accumulate as of the new views creation so it will take awhile to get good data, I dont count my data as good unless I have at least two months but the amount of time you wait to consider your data good is up to you I like two months because it gives me a comparision of this month to last when I go and have to report the data in a meeting. But do not mess with your current views just create new ones.

If you delete the old property and start a new property you would start your data all over at zero it would have no effect on your seo but again you would have to wait to see valuable data. I would go the route of a new view first with no filters see if your data looks good and then if that seems to work then and only then think about creating a new property.

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Peter which report(s) are you looking at that are showing you view numbers and property numbers? Also just so I understand correctly are you saying that in your Admin section in the Property section under Property Settiings you have a different URL list than what you have under the View section in View Settings?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Brian, I used to use independentagentsonline.com for my website. About a year ago, I changed website to cronininsurance.com. I pointed independentagentsonline to cronininsurance.com. When I view my reports in Analytics, it shows both independentagentsonline and cronininsurance.com as two seperate reports. independentagentsonline always has higher numbers for sessions etc than cronininsurance.com. I don't know whether independentagentsonline's numbers includes cronininsurance.com or if I should add them together. My Analytics Admin has independentagentsonline as the Property, and cronininsurance as the View. I've heard that if you change the Property, you use all your prior data. So I'm not sure what I should do to get an accurate report. Thank you, Peter

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Peter I believe you can change the Default URL line in your Property Settings without losing any data, the only way I know of losing data is if I create a entirely new Property or if I add filters to my views via Admin. I have never set different URLs for my Property and Views settings so I dont know what effect that will have on your reports or even if there is a case where you would want them to be different.
I do know that if you created a new view then the data starts at the moment in time that the view was created. How many views do you have associated with your Property.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Brian, I just dropped down the menu and I see two views- both independentagentsonline and cronininsurance.com. If I deleted independentagentsonline from view, will they incorporate into one report? Thanks, Peter

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
No you can not combine the views you should save both views until we figure out what they are collecting, what I think has happened is that when you changed your website from independentagentsonline.com to croninsurance.com you or someone created a new view and the new view started collecting data as of that date, since your account ID did not change they are both collecting data and thus the discrepency the newer view will have much less data in it than the older view because it has been collecting data for a shorter period of time. Unless you have a filter added to one of them the numbers for the same date range should match so if the were both running last week Monday set your date range to begin and end on that day and then look at both views if the numbers match and only if they match then if you want to delete one of the views delete the newest view croninsurance.com. You can go back into independentagentsonline.com and change the name of the view to croninsurance.com, but lets find out if the data matches first.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Brian, I ran reports for April 15 - April 21 and they were diffent.
IAO showed 166 sessions while cronininsurance showed 98 sessions.
all the other metrics were different too- the most noticeable being Avg Session Time
IAO 5:45 vs 1:10 for cronin

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
Peter do either of these views have any filters applied to them. To find out go to Admin-->View-->Filters

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, there are two filters showing there- under Cronin Insurance Agency View, One is ITC, my website host up until last Friday, and one called Cronin Insurance Agency.
Under IAO, also two- IWB east (which is same company as ITC above), and Cronin Insurance Agency.

Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star
Ok this is an area where lots of people mess up, when you add a filter in the admin section of a view it filters data starting at the moment the filter is introduced. A best pratice is to have your main view or at least one view that does not have any filtering so that you always have access to all the raw data. The problem could be in one or more of these filters. You best course of action is to create a view for each that does not contain any filtering and let them run for about 3 days to a week and see if the numbers start to jive depending on how busy your site is you may want to discard the first day as one view could get more sessions than the other on the first day.