Analytics
4.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Amazon Checkout reported as referral traffic in the channel reports

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have enabled Amazon Checkout in Q4 and the usage has become quite heavy. About 20% of the checkouts are actually down with Amazon Checkout, exceeding Paypal. 

However, it brings the problem that Amazon checkout becomes a referral channel. I guess that's due to the amazon parameter in the URL, but that should mess up with all the other channels, right? I mean, checkout is not how users come in. By showing those traffic as referral , the actual channel parameter must be cannibalized or wiped out. 20% of the transactions on Amazon checkout is a big number, making the channel performance much harder to read.

Anyone encountered a similar problem or/and has any suggestions?

Re: Amazon Checkout reported as referral traffic in the channel report

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Have you tried adjusting your default channels?

you can adjust your default channel groups and use a regex to define exclusion of amazon as a referral by using a common term in the referral as the excluded regex.

search for 'annielytics' site seems to be down right now but has some amazing articles on customising channels and tracking in GA

do this stuff in a test view first as you are changing how data is collected and attributed in your GA so if you stuff it up you want it to be in your test view Smiley Happy

search for annielytics site seems to be down right now but has some amazing articles on channels and tracking in GA

or try something form this site https://www.optimizesmart.com/tracking-true-referrals-in-google-analytics-when-using-paypal-and-othe...

-------------------------
If you liked my answer best please 'mark as accepted answer' if I was helpful but not the best please 'star'
- if I have not answered your question fully then please let me know by reply.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Dave_Davis (Top Contributor)
November 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
You'll need to add the domains of your payment providers to the refferal exclusion list: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795830

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi David,

Thanks for the reply. We can exclude Amazon from referral, but wouldn't that simply reject the whole traffic instead of returning it to the original channel. In other words, once the traffic carries an Amazon checkout parameter, they are no longer good data to us?Because Amazon Checkout is now 20% of our conversions, simply excluding it could also reduce the traffic and conversions significantly.

Thanks,
-Ge

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Tobias, same question: excluding this domain= dropping those traffic entirely?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
That is my understanding, you would then exclude that whole amazon referral source as a blanket move - maybe not ideal
I believe you can make finer adjustments by editing your default channel settings.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
No, you wont exclude any hits at all.
What happens right now: a user is on your site (active session) and leaves for amazon . when coming back within 30 minutes the same session would still be active. Because GA detects a new source (Amazon) it starts a new session and attributes the transaction you record to the new session/source.
When adding the amazon domain to the referral exclusion list GA wouldn't detect a new source. Therefore the old sesssion (with the original source, as long as it's still active) will continue when the user comes back to your site from Amazon.
If a user comes to your site from amazon who isn't in an active session, a new session with (direct) source would start, because GA doesn't detect any source.
Editing the default channel grouping won't solve the problem.
Hope this explains it a bit more.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@Tobias S makes good points but just to be clear you are saying that yes it would cut the attribution of amazon as a referral source altogether as 'amazon would go to direct'.
as you say 'wont exclude any hits at all' but Ge G will be losing attribution of amazon.

editing the channel grouping would not 'solve' the problem but Ge G could edit amazon traffic out of the referral channel and into it's own channel so it has at least silo'd the problem.

@Ge G i'm keen to see what works best for you so please post back your results/experience after testing suggestions.

-------------------------
If you liked my answer best please 'mark as accepted answer' if I was helpful but not the best please 'star'
- if I have not answered your question fully then please let me know by reply.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@tobias S @David C Thank you both for the detailed explanation. Filter out Amazon Checkout/put it into its own channel is not the problem, the problem is whether we can get back the "old" traffic source for proper attribution.

Unfortunately I don't have the admin auth to our GA account, I have forwarded this discussion and the relevant links to our admin. Once we start to implement, I'll be posting our experience in this thread.