Analytics
2.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

All users have custom dimensions, but all sessions don't

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are using Google Analytics for our website. If I go to the Acquisition -> All Traffic -> Channels view, and apply a custom dimension, the filtered result say the following:

1) In the 'Users' column, all the 100% of users are shown. (% of Total: 100.00%)

2) In the 'Sessions' column, only about 24% of sessions are shown. (% of Total: 23.90%)

Assuming that every user is a part of a session, why don't all the sessions have the value for that custom dimension recorded?

Currently, we send that particular custom dimension as part of an event, but we don't send any custom dimension as part of pageviews (I'm not even sure if we can send custom dimensions in pageviews.)

Any help would be appreciated.

1 Expert replyverified_user

All users have custom dimensions, but all sessions don't

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

In Google Analytics, the session 'count' is attached to the first hit of the session (user is handled differently). If your custom dimension (hit-scope) event is the first hit, then it will contain a session count, otherwise it would be attached to the first pageview hit.  By including the custom dimension in your report, you exclude all hits that don't contain it.  

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.