Analytics
1.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

All Pages report: Is this normal?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi guys,

I'm seeing thousands of pages that seem to me are site searches or tags? When you click the preview they are all not found. Should I be filtering this out? maybe a regex?

Thanks!Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 12.07.07 PM.jpg

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rafael L
May

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Rafael,

It's normal if you don't select "exclude query parameters" from the site search view settings.   Try changing that setting in your testing view to see if you like it and also check around to make sure no one else is using the data for something else.  If nothing else, you should keep it in your unfiltered view and that data can power other systems or integrations if necessary.

The "preview" function is not going to work because you are pre-pending the URI with the hostname, the preview function tries to do that same thing based upon the website setting in the view settings; therfore, the ultimate URL does not work.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Theo,

You are correct. I've been reading Jonathan Weber's (LunaMetrics)book and have to say I hadn't realized the answer was right in my nose.

I'm connecting w you on LinkedIn!

Thanks,

Rafa

Digital Media Analyst

Laplacacohen.com

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hey Rafael,

Sounds good and see you on Linkedin.  Smiley Happy

-Theo

Connect on LinkedIn

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

PS, I generally like to make those types of changes at the end of the month so your month over month comparisons aren't as fragile.  In this case we're only talking about search results so it's not as critical.

-Theo

Connect on LinkedIn

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Good point. Last night I excluded q parameters on my test view so depending on the type of results I get I'll make the change in my master viewstarting next month.

Thanks again.