Analytics
1.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Age and Gender Not showing up in my reports

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I now suddenly have the same problem - Google Analytics told me on one hand to enable improved Demographic reporting, then with the other it removed all demographic data - saying numbers were too low!!! Yet, Google keeps all this data for themselves!!! Not right. Something here is very wrong. Google playing games. Age / gender data is very useful. Now it's gone. How to get it back?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Google Analytics is, out of the box, designed around aggregate data. Tracking and identifying individuals is not something which GA has been built for. This is why - with the demographic reports - you will see a warning appear that a threshold has been applied when you approach a point that individuals could - theoretically - be identified through gender, age etc. As you collect more data, or use a larger date range then this warning will disappear and the demographic data will be available. This is, I agree, a confusing area as it is perfectly possible to view user id in the standard reports, through modification of the tracking code or by purchasing premium. However, Google has decided that granular detail of demographics data means you would effectively be tracking individuals and, as a result, have not enabled this capability. 

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

What do you mean removed the data? If you just turned it on it starts storing that data from that point forward to be view-able on your dashboard. It isn't retroactive. And +1 to what John said

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

1) Tracking and identifying individuals is not something which GA has been built for - 

Reply: Google doesn't track age / gender? Looking for the "Big Picture" not an individual's actions. Google ought to tell us what is the cutoff? >5 >15 >150? 

2) As you collect more data, or use a larger date range then this warning will disappear and the demographic data will be available. 

Reply: I had years of data instantly WIPED OUT - by GOOGLE 's clever ad to upgrade!!!!!