Analytics
6.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Adjust Cohort Analysis (D14 and D30 retention)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

is there a possibility to adjust the cohort analysis so that it does not only show D1-D12 Retention but also D14 and D30?

Best,

Jan

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adjust Cohort Analysis (D14 and D30 retention)

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Jan,

I don't think that it's possible. Probably because these special reports in Analytics are constrained by the area allowed to fill in the web page due to usability and/or simplicity issues.

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Christoph,

thank you for your reply. Do you have any diea if there is a workaround? The usual mobile KPIs include (next to D1, D3 and D7): D14, D30, D60 and D90. If I cannot get these from GA, I will have to install another Analytics suite just for this.

Jan

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Jan,

You might change cohort size to weeks and consider date ranges up to 12 weeks then.

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Christoph,

thank you for your reply! I experimented a little with weekly cohorts but I have a hard time understanding what it means exactly.

For example:
The cohort from 10.01.2016 - 16.01.2016 has 23 people and a week 1 retention of 8.7%. (8.7% translates into 2 people).
However, when I look at the daily retention rates of these cohort I can see that on day 1, one person came back. One day 2, a different person came back. And on day 6, one more person came back. This adds up to 3, not 2, people coming back in the first week.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Jan,

Did you understand this mess? Smiley Happy

I'm encountering the same issue...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Julien,

I could not find a satisfying answer by now. It may be a sampling error though. In the free version of GA data is often sampled and I think that a different sample is used for different time periods. Also I feel the sampling is not done very well, which leads to a large margin of error. So by now I decided that GA, in the free version, is relatively unsuitable to run A/B tests for large amounts of data.

Best

Jan