Analytics
2.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Adding a country selection page (different domain, different UA-ID) under Referral Exclusion.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

We have two websites. Domain A and B.

Domain A looks like: www.brand-website.com [no content, only to redirect people to correct country website. This domain A also remembers the selection made the first time. In your repeat visit, it will automatically redirect to domain B selection].
Domain B looks like: www.brandwebsite-me.com/us/

Domain B has a slightly different domain name than A followed by country code as a sub-folder.     

If I add Domain A has a referral exclusion in domain B's settings, then all traffic that moves from A to B will now be classified as Direct traffic in Domain B (instead of current setup where it is showing as Referral). This would be incorrect as it could well be that users reach domain A via organic search and not directly.

Doman B has country level views where the filter is a Request URI matches RegEx /ae/ (This is the country code in URL). If I go with cross domain tracking, this would be a conflict because of request URI filter for each country's website.As the page fetched from domain A will not have the country code in, it will not get picked up.

How can I correctly attribute this traffic in Domain B's reporting?

Thanks.

Re: Adding a country selection page (different domain, different UA-ID) under Referral Exclusion.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Adil,

Interesting scenario!

I suggest you

a) implement Cross-Domain tracking. This will ensure continuity of session from Domain A > Domain B. and thus preserving the original Source / Medium information even when you add Domain A as “referral exclusion” in Domain B’s settings.

b) Modify filter settings, as follows
Include: Request URI \/ae\/|^\/$

Besides including hits from /ae or /us or /uk etc. hits, this will ensure to include the pageview hit from Domain A [which is the landing page]. Excluding Domain A hit, will cause the original Source / Medium information to be thrown away and all traffic (in Domain B reports) will be classified as Direct.

Your "country specific" reports will also include traffic to the Domain A, but you can create a Segment that only includes traffic to Domain B's hostname.

hope this clarifies!

Let me know if that still doesn't solve the purpose or anyone knows of any better solution pls.

Cheers!