Analytics
2.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Add domain to UTM tag

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I would like to add the domain of a referring website automatically to the source field of the UTM tag. e.g.

www.mywebsite.co.uk?utm_source=**REFERING DOMAIN**&utm_medium=refferral&utm_campaign=Name&utm_term=Term&utm_content=Content

Could someone please let me know if this is possible?

Thanks 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Add domain to UTM tag

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

unless you *really* have an external links campaign, don't bother using UTM parameters: GA will automatically detect referrals.

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Add domain to UTM tag

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Julien,

I am using third party affiliate tracking software that redirects to our site, and overrides the source data in GA. I'm hoping to use UTM within the redirect to show the referring domain in GA again.

At the moment, all referring affiliate domains are grouped under one source. I can't differentiate the traffic from each affiliate.

Thanks

Add domain to UTM tag

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Yes that works (using the "medium=referral") but I've found that its best to use something else for "medium" when doing this kind of tracking - I actually use "affiliate" as the medium to separate out real referrals. See https://ga-dev-tools.appspot.com/campaign-url-builder/