Analytics
5.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Add Weather Data to Google Analytics Dashboard

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi...

I want to add weather into a report/dashboard in google analytics as we are a very weather affected business.

Simply just need to see what the weather conditions were at our store on that specific day.... I could do annotations but I can't see how to get those to show up in reporting?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Add Weather Data to Google Analytics Dashboard

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Ho Jon,

Easily done by using Custom Dimensions / Metrics. Basically with each hit or session you'll want to pass whatever weather data that is important to your business in as many dimensions as you need.

Then you can add them into a widget for your dashboard or use for analysis.

Reference is here:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2709828?hl=en

And you'll want a developer to connect to a weather data source and dynamically pass the information into the Google Analytics Tracking Code on pageview.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Theo,

Thanks for the fast reply!

I don't actually need the data per visitor or pageview just from one location so this seems like a sledgehammer to crack a nut maybe? Or is this the only way to get weather data from a specific Zip code into the dashboard?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Jon,

Well .. if you want it in GA you will have to do it via a custom dimension or metric. Depending on what the data is (temperature, rainfall, humidity, visibility, etc) it might be interesting to see how these factors impact traffic.

That said, you could bend data import to do something like this. I have not tested this and it's WAY outside the box so buyer beware. Smiley Happy

You could set a field in the GATC for every pageview that had a date value, this field would have to be something that contained the date perhaps in the julian form and this field would also have to be join-able in the data import feature so something like app id could be used -- in theory. Then you could upload the temperature or other data in a custom dimension/metric tied to the app id (date).

Either way, you'll need a developer.

Lastly you could do the analysis based on temperature data that your join and visualize, perhaps in tableau. That would allow you to do the analysis with out modifying the code.

Hey... I just remembered Simo Ahava posted something on this a while back and just found it...

http://www.simoahava.com/analytics/send-weather-data-to-google-analytics-in-gtm-v2/#gref

Simo is the man so if that's down the path of what you need then that should set you up or give a developer a clear quotable path.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That resource looks great... thanks will see what I can come up with!

Thanks