Analytics
2.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Active Users - How does it keep track of the level of user interest?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everybody.

I can't understand how the "active users" metrics can help keeping track of users interest. Shouldn't all the four graphics (one day, 7, 14, 30) always show the same trend (except for peaks in days or weeks of promotions, that would be anyway absorbed in the month average)? I don't get how they relate to users' engagement.

Thank you

1 Expert replyverified_user

Active Users - How does it keep track of the level of user interest?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

The 7 day trend shows how many unique users were on your site in the previous 7 day period. The 14 day trend shows the 14-day, so if all of the 7-day users return, the 14-day trend is close to the 7-day numbers. If the second week is the same number of new users and no return visits, the 14 day number doubles and the 7-day trend stays flat. The different between the curves shows you how much 'turnover' you have in the visitors. Close lines means you have a very loyal following, but widely spaced lines (doubled) show that you are constantly bring in new visitors with few returning.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.