Analytics
2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Acquisition Overview Question - repeat visitors

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

We operate a B2B eCommerce site and a very large portion of our visitors are repeat.

Question: When I view our Acquisition Overview report for a specific time period and see % of sessions per Channel, am I seeing the Channel for how that specific session landed on our site, or, am I seeing all sessions from a particular user grouped under their first visit Channel, regardless of whether the subsequent sessions belong to that Channel? 

Example:

In other words, person A comes to our site for the first time today as a result of Organic Search

Comes back tomorrow directly by typing our URL.

She has 2 sessions, will the Acquisition Overview report put both of those sessions under Organic Search, or will it put one under Organic Search and another under Direct?

Thanks in advance.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Acquisition Overview Question - repeat visitors

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Sessions are independent, so the user shows up twice. The first time, they might be a new user from Organic, the next time they could be a returning user from Referral.  

Note that a 'new user' is the first visit from a specific browser that does not have a GA cookie for your site. After that, the user is considered 'returning', so it is possible to have 100% returning visitors in a specific time period...

Note that GA uses last non-direct attribution, so if they return direct, the sessions will be attributed to the last non-direct source if there is one, so Organic > Direct would actually appear as Organic > Organic everywhere except in the Multi Channel Reports, which show the real path/source.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.