Analytics
2.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Accuracy limitations on GA unsampled reports

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What are the limitations with GA unsampled reports to maintain accuracy? 

My company a million daily pageviews, and recently we grouped products into page categories so that we can easily compare how product groups are doing on a monthly basis using a variety of metrics. The page categories can have between 10 and 50,000 pages. When pulling this new data I noticed dependencies in data after a report failed. I then pulled a single product group looking at just pageviews and no other metrics. If I pull 1 month of data I get 1 value for May, and if I pull May and April, I get a 3% difference between the pageviews for May in the 2 different reports. 

My concerns are what happens with the more data I pull. Do I need to limit the data being pulled to as little as possible to keep accuracy? e.g. Pull only 1 month at a time, and limit my metrics and dimensions to as few as possible. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Accuracy limitations on GA unsampled reports

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Eric I may have the number wrong but I think if you pull back more than 50,000 records or so the data is sampled. You can use R or Python to write a script utilizing the GA API and retrieve data unsampled or if you are not familiar with R or Python you can use a free BI tool such as Qlik (Need to buy the GA Connector or use the built in REST Connector) or Microsoft Power BI (has the GA Connector built in) both are free for personal use. From there you can export the data to use in various dashboards if you need the data to be viewed by others if for your own information then the BI tool is great for personal use.

Accuracy limitations on GA unsampled reports

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have a premium account and have the beta for the unsampled report downloads. Are the unsampled reports actually still sampled? 

Re: Accuracy limitations on GA unsampled reports

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Eric that I am not sure of I use the free code, but it would seem if youhave th premium account and are using the beta for unsampled data that it would therefore not be sampled data. from what little I have read on the premium account you should have access to all data without smapling.