Analytics
1.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

AVG Time on Page Inaccurate

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

We have an online system which customers are using daily for long periods of time. Most of their time is spent on the /fleet page and we know for a fact there are people who use page upwards of 5hrs a day - in fact most the people who visit the site will be on this page for a long time. The analytics say only a 3 minute average though, and I can't figure out why. Any ideas?image.png

1 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @Anthony S,

Google analytics measures the time on page or session duration by comparing the hits(pageviews, events(interaction ones),.. ) that is being collected. If user navigates to that page and stays 5 hours and there is no hit being(no pageview or interaction event hits) sent to Google Analytics, time on page will be zero.

Additionally, if you didn't adjust your 'Session Timeout', it is 30 minutes by default. This means that when user is on the page and if there is no hits in 30 minutes, user's session will be terminated and time on page for that page will be measured as zero even if user navigates to another page after

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Güney

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

I recommend that you check out the options for improving measuring page time; this includes the method described by Simo (below) which gives you 'true' time on page:
https://www.simoahava.com/analytics/track-content-engagement-via-gtm/

If your users are engaging with the page in some way - pushing buttons, filling in fields etc - then add event tracking to these and this will then send time stamps when they use them.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.