Analytics
3.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

A HUGE difference between Search Console Hits and Organic Search Sessions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear reader,

I've been working with Google Analytics for over 3 years now, and in that period I've tried to use it for improving the SEO performance of the companies I've worked for. One thing that has been been bothering me, is that I don't understand the huge difference between the SEO data of the Google Analytics Organic Search Channel, and the data offered by Google's Search Console. I understand the difference between a Search console hit and an Organic search Session or User, but the difference I'm currently experiencing is not explainable by the different KPI's. 

If I select "past week" in Google Analytics, I can see that my website has had 409 organic sessions and 248 new users. In Search Console (integrated in GA), we had 14 Clicks last week. Which is only 1/29th of the number of Sessions. As far as I can see, my search console is connected to the proper GA account, so that cannot cause any incorrect data.

Could anyone help me to understand this data correctly? I currently don't trust both sources because the difference is to big..

Cheers,

Robbert
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: A HUGE difference between Search Console Hits and Organic Search Sessions

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Robbert could your Organic searches be coming from other search engines than Google, the search console only tracks traffic from Google while Organic can track traffic from multiple search engines. Not sure that is the issue but worth drilling down into your metrics to find out.

Re: A HUGE difference between Search Console Hits and Organic Search Sessions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Robbert, I'm having the exact same problem/question.

Thank you Brian for your input. I've checked your suggestion and it does make a difference if you look at only Google or at all the organic searches. But this is by far not the huge difference I'm too experiencing.

Robbert, did you figured it out in the meantime? If so I would love to hear from you!

Esmée