Analytics
3.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

5,000 record limit

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm working with a client who has a Google Analytics account (I don't have direct access to the account). They are sending me CSV reports from their accounts. The reports have a limit of 5,000 records. I have not been able to find Google documentation that specifically mentions this limit. My primary question: how are the 5,000 records selected? Is this based on the same algorithm that is used for ad-hoc reports? Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

5,000 record limit

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @John D,

There is a limit of 5,000 rows in what Google Analytics displays, but you can work around that by using the Google Analytics Speadsheet Add on.

The limit of 5,000 is not in what can be exported, but in what the dashboard will present, which is generally more than enough. 

The absolute limits within Analytics are:

Processing latency is 24-48 hours. Standard accounts that send more than 200,000 sessions per day to Analytics will result in the reports being refreshed only once a day. This can delay updates to reports and metrics for up to two days. To restore intra-day processing, reduce the number of sessions your account sends to < 200,000 per day. For Analytics 360 accounts, this limit is extended to 2 billion hits per month.

Once a general user needs more than they average user, they are a power user that needs the strength of Analytics 360. 

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

James

5,000 record limit

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks @J Clemens. The following page mentions a 50K limit for standard Google Analytics accounts:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2637192?hl=en

Should the 50K limit be replaced with a 5K limit, or am I confusing concepts? 

Based on your answer and the page listed above, my read is that ad-hoc reports will apply a sampling algorithm that maintains the distribution of sessions per day for the given date range; this happens at the property level. I interpret this to mean that the relative number of sessions per day will be maintained in the sample so that if the first day in the date range had the greatest number of sessions in the raw data, it will have the greatest number of sessions in the sample dataset as well. 

Is this understanding correct? Thanks!!!