Analytics
2.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

1300+ users but only 72 page views?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was just checking my analytics and I noticed something strange. For January 1st and 2nd, it's showing a total of 1300+ users but only 72 page views. This is really strange especially given that I have event tracking on proving that people are downloading a PDF from my website. Events are showing 1,370 unique events for these 2 days.

So clearly, something is wrong. Any ideas? The only thing I can think of is that I was using W3 Total Cache (wordpress plugin) to minify CSS and JS and maybe the plugin I use to insert the GA code wasn't working as a result. I have switched to a different caching plugin as of last night though. Any thoughts or suggestions on how to get accurate numbers on GA?

Re: 1300+ users but only 72 page views?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
I think you might have a problem with sending pageview hits to Google Analytics.
Open your website, go to Google Analytics Real-Time > Content report and check if you can see live traffic.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I am seeing 15 users online right now. I'm guessing I fixed the issue then?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
If you're seeing 15 users online everything should be ok.
But to be sure you can use Google Tag Assistant to check if tracking works properly.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hmm, the Google Tag Assistant says "Missing analytics.js script" even though I can see it myself if I look at the page source. Any ideas on why it would say that?

I also checked using the record feature and it showed what I did but it says "Non-standard implementation."

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
I don't know what could it be. Can you post your website URL?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

In your GA tracking code you have something like this:
<script type="text/rocketscript">
I don't know what is it and what for but this is probably the cause of warnings in Tag Assistant.
It should be just:

<script>

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Okay, I think that's from CloudFlare which speeds up my site. I'm leery on removing that but I'll give it a shot and if it doesn't make my site any slower I'll keep it off. Thanks for the help!