2.1K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

.xyz referrals

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I want to remove the ".xyz" referrals shown below from my google analytics data. I think I should be able to do this by applying a filter. But when I create the filter and try the filter verification feature, I get the message that the filter would not have changed my data. I am new to this and I am probably just using the filter pattern incorrectly. Please help.

Thanks in advance.

xyz referrals.JPGxyz referral filter.JPG

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: .xyz referrals

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Jared,

You should use Campaign Source as filter field instead of Referral to filter spam. However, the spammers are constantly changing the names, and you will find yourself updating/adding new filters very often. Instead, I recommend you to try a more efficient solution based on your hostnames

If you create a filter including only traffic from your hostnames, all fake referrals will be automatically excluded no matter the name they use.

You can find step by step instructions for creating this filter in this guide
https://www.ohow.co/ultimate-guide-to-removing-irrelevant-traffic-in-google-analytics/

Hope it helps,

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me

.xyz referrals

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

>If you create a filter including only traffic from your hostnames, all fake referrals will be automatically excluded no matter the name they use.

This isn't true. I don't need attribution to disprove it. We shouldn't need to scour the internet for google to get off their pedestal and fix the problem that we are, literally, paying for. This is systemic to their "godly" ideology of silence in their sticky-note caves and their ignorant youth-based "brilliant" culture. inexperienced.

.xyz referrals

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

@Mark M I understand you want a global solution. But that is not what my comment was about.

I just shared a solution that I've been using and it has been proven to work for 2 years, I recommend you to try it and you will see that it's true Smiley Happy

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me