AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

www.get-free-social-traffic.com - Spam filtering

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

recently I've started using google Analytics for a starting company. We've had in the first days around 10 views a day, and suddenly it went up to 30 views in only one day. I checked where all these new 'customers' were coming from, and found out that it was all from some website called 'www.get-free-social-traffic.com'. The user is 0 seconds on my website, and doesn't open any other tabs or whatsoever. It's annoying because it's distorting the data I get from real interested people. I tried filtering the hostname '(not-set)' out, but I'm not experienced enough to make it work apparently. Can anyone help me with this? Many thanks in advance!

Regards,

Sander

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sander H
May 2016

Re: www.get-free-social-traffic.com - Spam filtering

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee
Hey Sander,

A few things here:
1) The filter should have your actual hostname/domain name, not "(not set)".
2) This does nothing to change the data that's already in your account. The not set will remain there, but it'll help filter future spam data.
3) (not set) isn't always spam traffic and here are a few legitimate reasons it could show up: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2820717?hl=en

Cheers,
Arjun

View solution in original post

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
Hey Sander,

Here are a couple of things you should do:
1) Admin > View Settings > Bot Filtering > Checkmark "Exclude all hits from known bots and spiders"
2) Admin > Filters(to the right of the page under views) > + ADD Filter > Predefined > Include Only > traffic to the hostname > "that contain" > Add your hostname to the textbox.

Cheers,
Arjun

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Arjun,

first of all thank you for the answer, I've followed the instructions as you've said. Unfortunately it's still the same. I have about 60 page views from (not set), and it doesn't go away. I have attached a Photobucket link, that shows you the filter. http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g72/HaakSander/Filters_zpsn46i1oer.png I don't really know what I can do now

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@santosh s,

thanks for the suggestion, I've already followed all the instructions there, and it didn't help at all. Not really sure what I'm doing wrong :/
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sander H
May 2016

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee
Hey Sander,

A few things here:
1) The filter should have your actual hostname/domain name, not "(not set)".
2) This does nothing to change the data that's already in your account. The not set will remain there, but it'll help filter future spam data.
3) (not set) isn't always spam traffic and here are a few legitimate reasons it could show up: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2820717?hl=en

Cheers,
Arjun

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Arjun,

thanks, that clarifies a lot. I was worried that the filters weren't working because the results didn't change at all. Didn't know that it only works for future results.. Thank you for your help! Really useful for me in the future Smiley Happy

Cheers,
Sander