Analytics
6.4K members online now
6.4K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

trackvisitsnow2 referring 10,000+ fake pageviews

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've read all about referral spam and ghost traffic and none of the blog posts have helped me with my particular problem. 

Only one page of my website is affected by this ghost traffic. I've gotten 10,000+ pageviews from it this month. It steadily creeps up every day. I want to filter out this fake traffic.

I tried installing wp-ban on my site, as one blog post suggested. It has had no effect. Which leads me to believe the traffic is never actually making it to the site, but only showing up in the analytics.

ghosttraffic1.PNG

The screenshot shows the page affected narrowed by the secondary dimension of Source/Medium. When I go to Hostname, it shows only my website url. When I go to Referral Path it shows only a slash for 10,000+ and (not set) for a few others.

I tried creating a filter by City. More than half of the pageviews for this page come from New Delhi. I previewed the filter and it said it would have an effect, but when I went back to the analytics, nothing changed. I still have 10,000+ pageviews from this source.

When I try to filter out by referral, nothing happens. The referrer is trackvisitsnow2.com. I tried filtering out by campaign (which was " (not set) " for all), nothing happened. No matter what I try (besides City: New Delhi), it says: This filter would not have changed your data. Either the filter configuration is incorrect, or the set of sampled data is too small.

What am I doing wrong? How can I filter out this traffic?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kimberly D
June 2016

Re: trackvisitsnow2 referring 10,000+ fake pageviews

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
Filters do not remove historical data that has already been tracked into the reports.
They work going forward on new data.

To remove the data from reports going forward, follow the golden rule and leave the initial View without any filters. Create another View and apply a custom filter such as:
filter-exclude-trackvisitsnow.jpg

To see the historical reports without having this data muddying them up, create and apply a custom segment to exclude those particular sessions:

segment-exclude-referrer.jpg

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for your response! I've done what you said. The Verify filter link did show that something would change, so fingers crossed this is the solution. Thanks!

(I'm not going to mark this resolved until I see the number stops growing.)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It seems the traffic from trackvisitsnow2 has ended (or is not being recorded, to be more accurate), but there has been in increase of traffic to this particular page coming from Facebook.

I'm wondering now if there is a way to keep this page off of the stats all together. It's an anomaly. I know hardly anybody is reading this post. I could do without seeing stats for it at all, but I'd rather not delete it from my website. Can I pick and choose what pages are shown in Google Analytics or is it a package deal?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
I would leave the initial View without any filters.. as per usual best practices
and then create a new View and add an exclude filter to exclude the Request URI and then exclude the particular page via how the url appears in the pages report
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here