Analytics
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

spam has made GA near useless to me. alternatives to GA without spam?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

it boggles the mind that a company like google can't block analytics spam. my site is tiny, and i basically can't tell anymore who is who, because spam has overwhelmed the 2-4 real visitors i get per day. 

is there *any* other analytic service out there that doesn't get spammed like google analytics? 

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Paul S
September 2016

Re: spam has made GA near useless to me. alternatives to GA without spam?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
One incredibly simple way to avoid spam is to create a new property and deploy your GA as -2 or higher. It's the -1 properties that get most of the spam. If you still get spam traffic, with that low of a traffic level, try Clicky - it makes a good backup analytics program and would be free for you to use.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi, Paul

I agree with Mr.Phillip's suggestion to go ahead with higher level of properties other than 1. Since, I have experienced it myself. Apart from that if you are interested you shall use segments or filters to segregate/avoid the data from the analytics. If you are about to use SEGMENTS - go for the advanced level conditions based approach and segregate the spam ones and look into the good data. Else if you want the spam that has already hit to never come back again go ahead with using FILTERS and advanced level and try using host-name and you wont get the filtered data again.

Hope this might be useful to you.

Thanks.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
wow, clicky looks quite nice. i think i might give it a try. i have no idea what you mean by deploy my analytics as -2 or higher. what is this setting? where is it located? thanks for the reply!

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
When you create a property, it will have a tracking ID like UA-123456-1

If you create a second property in GA, it would be UA-123456-2

Spammers randomly generate GA tracking ids in order to spam them directly. Since it is rare for people to set up more than one property, spammers only spam -1 tracking IDs.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
oh, i see! okay, that's clear. but, my main site is already UA-1234567-2. so, spam just seems out of control these days. really sad to see. thanks for all the advice above! think i might give that other tracker a try.