Analytics
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

referral exclusion list

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Once domains are added how long till these are excluded from reports?

Does it hide these domains from historical data?

Thanks.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: referral exclusion list

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
These domains get added right away.
Referral information can be persistent for up to 6 months if visitors came from those excluded sites but kept on visiting via direct traffic.
Patience.
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Note that the referral exclusion list should NOT be used for spam referral (the category you posted in). It converts the visit to a direct visit...it does not filter the traffic.

If you want a better explanation, see the article:
http://help.analyticsedge.com/spam-filter/definitive-guide-to-removing-google-analytics-spam/
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
For valid hostnames and adding them to filter... when I do the Verify it elimates all of the 'Include' hostnames you see here (includes offshore developers) -- classblox | localhost | app.hubbnow.com | 52.10.138.28 | de8e23d2.ngrok.io | 8a3c10a5.ngrok.io | fddc6246.ngrok.io | d259322d.ngrok.io | 131.253.14.125 | shielded-escarpment-59370.herokuapp.com

i'm using classblox to represent other valid hostnames qa.classblox, blog.classblox, www.classblox.com, and classblox.com -- is that a correct way to capture the other valid host names.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
The Referral Inclusion List does NOT accept regular expressions -- only domains like 'classblox.com'. It is NOT a hostname filter.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.