Analytics
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

random links on google analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

im getting all of these random torrent links and I do not know what to do to prevent/remove

the only ones that are mine are "/" and "/tours"

see attached:

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Joshua, that would be spam data which is a known issue not just for Google Analytics but also other analytics solutions as well.

You should create a new View (this will populate with data going forward) and at the very least, apply an include Hostname filter for your website hostname. This can be done using a predefined filter
More info about filters in the GA Help Docs
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033162?hl=en&ref_topic=1032939

I also strongly recommend reading the following article (yes a long read but well worth the time and effort) to familiarize yourself with the different types of spam data that can occur in reports. and to also learn about the various filters and segments that should be setup and used in order to keep your reports 'clean' and spam free.
http://help.analyticsedge.com/spam-filter/definitive-guide-to-removing-google-analytics-spam/

Keep in mind, best practices do not have filters applied to the first default All Website View. This way you have an unedited raw copy of reporting data available at all times.. 

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Re: random links on google analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi can you help remove and or show (with screenshots) how to disable them
from showing? It says they are site content as well...

Thanks!

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

@joshua n @Bronwyn V those pages don't look like the common fake spam pages. You need to make sure these pages don't and didn't really exist, if they do, then you probably have malware on your site and you should remove it.

First of all, scan your site for malware https://sitecheck.sucuri.net// and open some of the pages to see if it is a really present.

You can also check the hostname of those pages in Analytics common spam usually, has a  fake or (not set) hostname. 

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Joshua - Is your website WordPress based? If so you may want to open an FTP program and take a look at the files on your server in your website's root directory or WP install directory. I've seen some bad WP sites that get infected and the exact same thing happens. Most of the time you notice it in your analytics before you do on your server. If you see a bunch of files coming from nowhere that do not belong you've been infected! 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I don't see anything too unusual in the ftp.. see attached screenshots:

See anything fishy?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

hi i did the scan and it said there were no malware files detected

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

it is WP based

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star

@Joshua N if you click the grey arrow next to them do you see a page not found 404 or the page is present?

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

i see a 404 page