Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

"Referral" spam showing up in Organic traffic with Google as source?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I noticed  yesterday for the first time that so called referral spam is now showing up in my organic traffic with a source of Google.

It shows up with the keyword "claim42806270.copyrightclaims.org" (I see this a lot as referrer in the typical referral spam) and with the 

landing page as my home page, it bounces and does not show up as new user.

Anybody see this before?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author NickMNS
December 2015

Re: "Referral" spam showing up in Organic traffic with Googl

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Nick,

It is called referral spam because initially that was the dimension used by the spammers, but it can show pretty much anywhere in your reports. I've seen it as referral (the most common), organic and even as a fake event.

The solution is the same though, since this type of spam will always have a fake or (not set) hostname, you can create a filter that will only allow traffic from your valid hostnames. This way you will stop ghost spam no matter where it shows in your reports.

Hope it helps,

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me

Re: "Referral" spam showing up in Organic traffic with Googl

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the response, I guess I'll have to look into implementing the filters you describe.