AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

google analytics referral exclusion list

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi i apologize for my lack of communication, but i would just like to know when i do open google analytic >admin > referral exclusion list > . I see my domain already added on to it ... why is that so ... and what happens if i remove it? Robot Indifferent

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author John W
February 2016

Re: google analytics referral exclusion list

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi John,

Your domain is automatically added to the referral exclusion list when the property is created in order to prevent self referrals. A self referral is when you see your domain show up as a referral in the reports. This can happen if you you're tracking across subdomains, have missing tracking code on some of your pages or some other issue that causes one visitor to trigger multiple sessions instead of one.
Self referrals affect acquisition, behaviour and conversion data so they mess up your reports.
Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

@John W

1. Check maybe you don't have Google Analytics on every page? Use Google Tag Manager for Google Chrome.

2. Maybe you have utm in internal links?

You can exclusions referral in GA.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795830?hl=en

SH

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
i do have google's analytics added for every page but the question is why was my domain automatically added to my google analytic >admin >tracking info> referral exclusion list?? and what happens if i remove it ?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author John W
February 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi John,

Your domain is automatically added to the referral exclusion list when the property is created in order to prevent self referrals. A self referral is when you see your domain show up as a referral in the reports. This can happen if you you're tracking across subdomains, have missing tracking code on some of your pages or some other issue that causes one visitor to trigger multiple sessions instead of one.
Self referrals affect acquisition, behaviour and conversion data so they mess up your reports.
Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital