AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

apycomm.com referral

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have a problem with apycomm.com referral traffic on my website. Some countries have like 60% traffic just from apycomm.com with very high BR (>80%) and generally useless traffic. I've read that apycomm.com is a virus for popups and session hijacking, but could it work exactly in my case that is brings "dead" traffic? And how to eliminate it?

1 Expert replyverified_user

apycomm.com referral

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

When you isolate traffic from this site and select a secondary dimension of hostname, what's the hostname that shows up? Your site's or (not set)? If the latter, the solution is to create an include filter of type hostname and pass your hostname in the filter pattern box. This is a good way of protecting your site from spam that uses the measurement protocol.

Before doing the above, though, that is creating the filter, go to the Hostname report in Audience > Technology > Network and switch the primary dimension to Hostname. Check out what hostnames on this report and include them all in the filter. Use regular expression to pass more than one hostname value, like so:

example\.com|site\.com|store\.com 

apycomm.com referral

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for info!

It is also the scale of the problem that worries me... It's actually about 10% of my traffic and for some countries like 80%... how come? What is this, a nation-wide infection of browsers? It seems rather unlikely (that 80% is not 100 sessions, but much, much more Smiley Wink )

Do you perhaps know how exactly would this pop-up work so it sends traffic to my website?

To answer your question - the hostname for that referall is 100% my host. Hmmm (?)

apycomm.com referral

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

I don't know how it works, I'm afraid. You can always exclude this traffic from your view via an exclude filter and source as filter field.

apycomm.com referral

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My worry is that some of it might be legitimate traffic. In global view it has some conversion (really small, but still).

apycomm.com referral

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

If as you say it "is a virus for popups and session hijacking", I can't see it as legitimate nor can I attach any importance to conversions from it.