Analytics
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border
Highlighted

Wrong utm parameter showing in root domain

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have been facing this issue for quite a while now.

I am tracking my root domain and sub-domain using same UA code. I have one referral link from root domain to sub-domain which contains a utm-source as "xyz".

Apart from this url, nowhere else I am using "xyz" as utm_source. Also, there is no inward link to my root domain that will have the same utm source. However, I am getting referral traffic to my root domain with this same source.

I am guessing that, somehow whoever clicks on the outgoing url with utm_source=xyz, their session is changed to this referral source. Unless there is another reason.

When I used separate UA code for my subdomain, this problem was solved. Not sure what is causing this. Anyone experiencing the same issue or has a solution for this cross domain tracking?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Raj,

Can you share the exact domain?

In generell:

For subdomain tracking you do not need to activate cross domain tracking. Furthermore its not recommended to use "onsite UTM Paramters" as they will end the current session and starting a new one.

Do you want this behavior?

Best,

Markus

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I actually moved all cross-domain tracking from UTM to ITM Smiley Happy