1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border
Highlighted

Wrong utm parameter showing in root domain

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have been facing this issue for quite a while now.

I am tracking my root domain and sub-domain using same UA code. I have one referral link from root domain to sub-domain which contains a utm-source as "xyz".

Apart from this url, nowhere else I am using "xyz" as utm_source. Also, there is no inward link to my root domain that will have the same utm source. However, I am getting referral traffic to my root domain with this same source.

I am guessing that, somehow whoever clicks on the outgoing url with utm_source=xyz, their session is changed to this referral source. Unless there is another reason.

When I used separate UA code for my subdomain, this problem was solved. Not sure what is causing this. Anyone experiencing the same issue or has a solution for this cross domain tracking?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Raj,

Can you share the exact domain?

In generell:

For subdomain tracking you do not need to activate cross domain tracking. Furthermore its not recommended to use "onsite UTM Paramters" as they will end the current session and starting a new one.

Do you want this behavior?

Best,

Markus

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I actually moved all cross-domain tracking from UTM to ITM Smiley Happy