Analytics
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Where is my traffic gone?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

My blog traffic was steadily increasing and over a week ago, I had about 1100 users. Then one day it had dropped to 246 and now everyday I check it's still roughly 200. Does anyone know why my traffic for my blog would fall so dramatically?

Thanks,

Maria

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

You need to check two things:

1. Is your tracking code not working properly

2. If your tracking code is working correctly, then - as a first step -  which parts of your traffic have decreased.

1. Have you made any changes to your GA tracking code? This could be on the blog or via the UI e.g. new filters. Have you made any changes to the website e.g. launch of new design. Use tools like GA debugger or Google tag assistant to make sure everything is working correctly. You can also post a link here to allow forum members to take a look at what your blog is sending to Google.

2. Rather than looking just at the overall numbers, check the detail. Also, you say users has dropped, is this also the case for sessions? Check your acquisition reports and see if all traffic sources/mediums have dropped. This is worth checking as it may be a source of traffic as suddenly stopped, or decreased, for some reason. Did you have an advertising campaign which was active but has now stopped? It may also be the case that the traffic you received was spam, which has now stopped - check to see if the visits you previously received had a 100% bounce rate, for example.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

uI, too, have a problem. As of a week ago, my Facebook traffic started rapidly decreasing. In Ads Manager on the Facebook Ad Platform I see 6000 clicks to my website, while in GA I only see about 500 or so. What could possibly be the problem and is there any way to tag the digital assets for a double check?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

@Vladimir R It's probably a better idea to post this up as a separate post, otherwise it can get missed. Yes - you could add campaign tracking to your FB adverts and compare the data. Have you seen a similar increase in direct traffic?

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Everything is the same in other means of traffic, except for the Facebook part, I we haven't done any changes in anything. I was wondering wether it's a GA bug, so that's why I hopped on board this post.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply. 

My blog is: www.cantillonkitchen.com if that helps any. 

My users have dropped in both referrals and organic search. This seems strange to me because I am actually working on SEO optimatization now more than ever. 

Thanks,

Maria