Analytics
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

What is a spam visit doing ??

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello

I have quite a lot strange visitors to my webshop according to Google Analyze.  

Such as: <edited by a Community Manager as noted below>

I assume these are spam visitors ??

Can anyone explain to me WHY spam bots are visiting my site and what they can benefit from my site which is in pure Norwegian and should not be of interest for anyone else ??

Thank you.

Petter

NOTE: This post has been edited by a Community Manager in order to remove five URLs which had the potential to put other members at risk. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What is a spam visit doing ??

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Peter,

The purpose of the spam is to lure people into their websites if you go to the URL's (don't) of these spammers they will try to sell you something or get your email between other things, must of the people don't fall for it but some do.

The best you can do is filter them so they stop polluting your reports you can find a step by step guide on this article along with all the information on what, how and why of the spam in Google Analytics.
http://www.ohow.co/what-is-referrer-spam-how-stop-it-guide/

Hope it helps,
Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your reply Carlos.

If I understand you correctly the spammer is trying to lure ME as the site owner to visit their site and my other visitors will not feel any problem with these spam visitors ??

And I understand that my reports will be messed up with all these spammers so I will try to follow the procedure you recommend.
I have already created a exclusion filter for some of spammers.

I was afraid that this was hacking attacks and could destroy my webshop in anyway.

Petter

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
That´s right Peter.

All the spam on the list you mentioned doesn´t have any interaction with your site at all it hits directly your Google Analytics, so your webstie or your visitors won´t be affected. So only create the filter and you will be fine.

But an advice for the future, don´t assume that everything is spam. If you are not sure what it is Google it.
Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Petter E
January 2016

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Carlos. :-)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Just a final question Carlos.

Even if I filter the spam will I still see it in the Real Time overview ?