Analytics
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

What exactly, if anything, is Google doing to rid Referral Spam?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am curious since I have not really noticed anything being done by Google.  Many of the referral spam links are common across the board, yet the only way to try and prevent/stop, is to exclude.  Will Google ever do anything regards to referral spam and it messing up analytic reports and wasting our time?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What exactly, if anything, is Google doing to rid Referral Spam?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Fletcher,

Although they are not publicly speaking, they are working on it. I've been following this issue for over a year, and I noticed some limitations which have reduced the amount of spam. Not sure why are they keeping it private, but I guess they don't want the spammers to take advantages of these measures. Unfortunately, the spam has always been around, and Google Analytics is very attractive for the spammers to leave it, due the amount of people using it. 

I know there are tons of solutions around, some better than others, but only one is really effective against this type of spam, a filter with your hostnames. I guess you haven't used/heard of it because you are still getting spam. The following guide will help you apply this solution, plus some other things you can do to keep clean your Analytics.

https://www.ohow.co/ultimate-guide-to-removing-irrelevant-traffic-in-google-analytics/

Hope it helps,

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me

Re: What exactly, if anything, is Google doing to rid Referral Spam?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Carlos,

I myself have not seen a reduction in the amount of spam, and yes, I do already filter with hostnames. It is just a pain to keep adding spam links to filters. It is rather obvious which referrals are spam, which makes me think it would be easier for Google to block them system wide. Even if there was an option to report a referrer as spam that Google could then add to a database and remove from all analytic accounts (past, present, and future), would be great.