AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Website Take Over By HBO Game Of Thorns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

On Monday August 1st HBO released Game Of Thorns and created a website called TheGotParty.com My website is GotParty.com This has caused me to get spam traffic in the thousands and it's taken my Bounce rate to a new HIGH 66%. I am getting all this  spam traffic looking for Game Of Thorns and when they don't find it they click away. Now my Google Analytics Bounce rate is steady climbing. What can I do to stop this? Do I contact HBO? Google? Who might be able to help me please.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Clifford I
August 2016

Re: Website Take Over By HBO Game Of Thorns

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Don't forget to look into trademarks and copyrights! ;-)
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi :-)
First up..the good news, the bounce rates in GA are not used for calculating or have any baring on your website's organic search ranking.
Bounce rate can be manipulated a number of ways in GA.

Not much you can do about ppl typing in the wrong url and landing on your website instead because of that. Unfortunate that its something as popular as GOT and impacting your website so much.

Does any of the traffic have any common characteristics eg type of browser, country its coming from, etc?

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Clifford,

Firstly congratulations for getting this much traffic to your site without any effort Smiley Very Happy

Well this is not your mistake that people are landing on your site instead of thegoparty.com, you can not do any thing to stop this. There may be multiple reasons for this: your site is already ranking on google and other one is just rising, at first this will happen that users land on your page but after some time this will gradually decrease and your site traffic will be normal.

For checking the accurate reports you have to check if the traffic is coming from a specific channel or country. you can then filter out that source to get the original reports about your site.

hope this answer will make sense for you and let us know if you ever contact HBO Smiley Wink

Cheers
Noman Karim

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your reply. The new traffic I'm getting is from Google
Search Engine. Most are from the U.S.

I sell party supplies and the traffic I'm getting is looking for the
movie "Game Of Thorns" GOT Party.

My concern is that this is raising my Bounce % Rate because the visitors
are not staying on my website but for a second.

Are you saying that I should not worry about this bounce rate
increasing? It will not affect my ranking in Google Search?

Cliff
GotParty.com

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your reply. The new traffic I'm getting is from Google
Search Engine. Most are from the U.S.

I sell party supplies and the traffic I'm getting is looking for the
movie "Game Of Thorns" GOT Party.

My concern is that this is raising my Bounce % Rate because the visitors
are not staying on my website but for a second.

Are you saying that I should not worry about this bounce rate
increasing? It will not affect my ranking in Google Search?

Cliff
GotParty.com

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your reply. The new traffic I'm getting is from Google Search Engine. Most are from the U.S.

I sell party supplies and the traffic I'm getting is looking for the movie "Game Of Thorns" GOT Party.

My concern is that this is raising my Bounce % Rate because the visitors are not staying on my website but for a second.

Are you saying that I should not worry about this bounce rate increasing? It will not affect my ranking in Google Search?

Cliff

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks You. Nearly all my traffic is coming from the US. Nearly all are from Google Search Engine. Thanks for telling me this should not affect my ranking with Google. This has caused me a lot of stress. I have tried calling HBO Time Warner but of course they won't let me speak to anyone directly. I'm told someone will contact me. Time Warner is near me in Burbank CA. I'm thinking about dropping in. They could have asked to buy my domain rather then add the word THE to Got Party. Lots of headache and worry was done so they could promote their product. I'm not a happy camper.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Clifford, if you have questions regarding SEO and site ranking etc.. best place to ask is on the Webmaster Central Help Forum.
They would be able to give much better information in regards to your particular situation.
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/webmasters

If ppl are landing on your site incorrectly and then returning to Google to do a different search to find the correct site, Google Search has its own way of tracking and measuring organic search users. that is not an issue with Google Analytics.

What i can assure you of though, is that bounce rate as measured by Google Analytics is nothing to do with how your site ranks in Google Search, bounce rate in GA can be altered and manipulated, it isnt taken into account in organic search ranking for this reason... (also bare in mind all the site's indexed in organic search that do not use Google Analytics at all)?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I want to Thank You again for using the word "Congratulations". Sometime in the moment of passion we overlook what's right in front of us. On my second cup of coffee the word "Congratulations" kept going through my head. That's when it hit me. I paying for traffic to my website now but here in front of me is free traffic by domain name only. WOW. That took a moment! Thanks to you, Google and to HBO "Game Of Thorns" I have a product I can sell that matches my domain name. I plan to redesign my home page ASAP and sell "Game Of Thorns" party supplies. NICE, Have a great life.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Clifford I
August 2016

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Don't forget to look into trademarks and copyrights! ;-)