Analytics
3K members online now
3K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Unusual direct traffic from Mobile

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are getting unusual direct traffic from mobile since the last couple of months. The landing page for the visitors is home page of the website and bounce rate is in 90's.

Around 95-98% from this source are new users but they do not perform any activity. I think this is a false data. Can someone please suggest possible cause and remedy. 

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ravindra,

Suspiciously, it sounds like spam/bot traffic.

I would recommend you tick the exclude known hits from bots and spiders within the view setting for each view.

Also, I would suggest you dig a bit deeper and find out what browser and device type the traffic is coming from. I would also recommend to use a secondary dimension of "host name" to see where the hits are being sent from.

Let me know how you get on with the above.

Thanks,

Adam

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your suggestions. 

I have already ticked to exclude hits from bots and spiders. 

The browser types for most visits are Android webview and Android browser. The device type is general (not specific device from where more visits are coming).

Hostname for max visits is the website. 

Can you conclude anything from this data?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

To be honest with you it's hard to identify the issue without seeing the data.

What you can try next, is setting up a custom dimension of "user agent" then checking your data and then if you can associate a particular user agent to your spam traffic exclude it at the filter level.

Thanks,

A