AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
5K members online now
5K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Unknown Traffic Source (Referral)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

My website is receiving the highest traffic from a referral source. ( 10.10.30.1:8002 / referral ).

I can't figure out where it is coming from. 

Is there a way I can track where is this coming from? 

Thanks in advance.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author MSED D
October

Re: Unknown Traffic Source (Referral)

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
The 10.10.*.* IP address range is reserved for internal use only (i.e. on an intranet) and should not appear on the internet. Most likely source of this traffic is a developer playing with a local copy of your website on their computer. The :8002 is a typical alternative port number (the web uses port 80 and 443) so they can access the local web server separate from the web. The local copy still have the GA tracking code snippet, so it sends pageviews when they move around the page. Hence the low bounce rate...
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi!

The number "10.10.30.1" should be the IP address of the machine who is "visiting" your property.
If you'd like to have more details about the location, you could try to use this tool.
You probably are receiving visits from bots and/or scanners.
(This is especially true if the bounce rate associated with this referral is =>90%)

Is the "BOT filtering" function active on the view you are looking at?
This function excludes from your data all the visits to your website coming from non-human agents (BOTs, spiders, scanners, antiviruses).

If you wish to have your data "clean"(without those referrals) from this moment on, and you didn't do it yet, you can enable the BOT filtering by

1.  Click on "Admin" on the main menu
    Schermata 2016-07-14 alle 11.30.44.png
  2. On the third column (the column "View"), 
    select the view you want to exclude the BOT visits from (if not already selected)
    Schermata 2016-07-14 alle 11.31.27.png
  3. After selecting the right view, on the third column, click on "View settings"
    Schermata 2016-07-14 alle 11.31.58.png
  4. Here you'll find the "BOT filtering" field, check the radio button, and then save
    Schermata 2016-07-14 alle 11.17.52.png

The best solution would be to have at least two views, one with no filters at all (a backup view) and one with all the needed filters applied.

Hope this helps!

Let me know if you have any doubts,

Kind Regards,

Elena

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Elena,

Thank you for your answer.

However, the bounce rate is pretty good at 2.77%.

Also, how do i set up two views?

Many thanks!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi!

That is still a quite strange value for the bounce rate.
It could be still be plausible these visits come indeed from a BOT, since sometimes they send more than one hit to your property for the page.

If you only have one view, I would apply the filter(s) to the existing view.

Then, you can create a new backup view like this:
1 In the "Admin" section, check if the property selected in the middle column is the one you want to create the view in
2 Click on the drop down menu in the "View" column, and select "create a new view"
Schermata 2016-07-14 alle 13.12.40.png

3 Then give a name to your new view, select the appropriate Time zone, and then save.

Let me know if you have any further questions,

Best,

Elena

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Elena,

Thank you for your answer.

I have created second view, however the view with active "BOT filtering" function still gets the traffic from this referral source.

Regards,
Prince

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Prince,

could you try setting "Referral path" as a secondary dimension, and tell me what value it holds for that source?

Best,

Elena

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Elena,

I have tried that too but still made me clueless.

Here are the referral paths:
10.10.30.1:8002/index.php
10.10.30.1:8002

Many thanks!Smiley Happy

Regards,
Prince

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author MSED D
October

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
The 10.10.*.* IP address range is reserved for internal use only (i.e. on an intranet) and should not appear on the internet. Most likely source of this traffic is a developer playing with a local copy of your website on their computer. The :8002 is a typical alternative port number (the web uses port 80 and 443) so they can access the local web server separate from the web. The local copy still have the GA tracking code snippet, so it sends pageviews when they move around the page. Hence the low bounce rate...
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.