Analytics
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Unknown Redundant Hostnames

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm getting a "Redundant Hostnames" warning in Google Analytics. However, the hostnames in question are not ones that I own so I can't just redirect the traffic with a 301 as suggested. Is this spam traffic that could be hurting my analytics? If so, how can I stop the behavior?

Redundant Hostnames

First detected: Apr 27, 2016 11:27:05 PM
Last detected: Jul 28, 2016 1:54:08 AM

Property Quizlet Web is receiving data from redundant hostnames. Some of the redundant hostnames are:
  • <unknown domain>.net
  • www.<unknown domain>.net
Redundant hostnames are counted as separate rows in reports, so hits that are going to the same page on your site from different hostnames will be split into multiple rows. With data split across multiple rows, traffic to specific pages will appear lower than it actually is.

To avoid this problem, consider setting up a 301 redirect from one of your redundant hostnames to the other, or create a search-and-replace filter that strips "www." from hostnames.

Google Tag Assistant Recordings can help you verify that your redirect is setup correctly, or that your filter is working as intended.

Learn more: https://support.google.com/analytics/bin/answer.py?answer=1034834&hl=en_US&utm_id=ad

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Unknown Redundant Hostnames

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Alec,

You're receiving data from redundant hostnames. You can fix this problem if you create a search-and-replace filter that strips "www." from hostnames.

Here's the filter that you can use in order to solve this issue:

Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 05.13.37.png

Here you can read more about it: https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/AdWords-Tracking-and-Reporting/Should-I-remove-redundant-h...

@Carlos Escalera has written a great article that describes the same warning: https://www.ohow.co/fix-redundant-hostnames-notification-in-google-analytics/

Hope this helps.

Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Taavi,

Thanks for replying. However you did not answer my question. I understand how to filter out two hostnames, but I'm worried that a hostname over which I do not have control over is sending data to my GA account.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alec W
August 2016

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
If you know it's not a valid hostname and that you don't want to see traffic from this hostname, then create an include custom filter with hostname as field and pass as value only valid hostnames using regular expressions, like:

thisvalidhost\.com|thatvalidhost\.com|anotherhost\.com

I'd advise you visit the Hostname report in GA - Audience > Technology > Network, then switch the primary dimension to Hostname - in order to figure out what hostnames you want to include in the filter.

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

@Alec W if you received this kind of warning:

Property Quizlet Web is receiving data from redundant hostnames. Some of the redundant hostnames are:

• <unknown domain>.net
  • www.<unknown domain>.net

Redundant hostnames are counted as separate rows in reports, so hits that are going to the same page on your site from different hostnames will be split into multiple rows. With data split across multiple rows, traffic to specific pages will appear lower than it actually is.

To avoid this problem, consider setting up a 301 redirect from one of your redundant hostnames to the other, or create a search-and-replace filter that strips "www." from hostnames.

Then it probably lets you know that your domains yourdomain.com and www.yourdomain.com in your reports are split into multiple rows. That's why I recommend you to use the Search and Replace filter. Smiley Happy

@R Rodrigues gave you a good advice. If you're worried about spam traffic and you'd like to figure out hostnames that are not associated with your domain, go to Audience -> Technology -> Network -> Hostname. Then you can simply figure redundant (spam) hostnames out and create a specific hostname filter to get rid of them.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes. Smiley Happy

Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the recommendation of how to filter out the domain. I'll go ahead and do that. However, it seems like there should be away to blacklist traffic from particular (malicious) hostnames from even sending data to my account.