Analytics
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Unable to stop traffic from Spam referral sites. Please help.

Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

This popular discussion was copied from the former Help Forum, answered by Jennifer Dell (Rising Star)

Question: Hello All Experts,

For last few months , we have been observing traffic from referral sites like :
1. 4webmasters.org
2. floating-share-buttons.com
3. traffic2money.com
4. get-free-social-traffic.com
..... and many other similar spam referral sites. We tried to stop these traffic by blocking their IP and domain on our website's (www.convergehub.com) .htaccess file. But still their data can be seen on Google Analytics. Please let me know your valuable thoughts regarding:

1. How we can stop these spam referral sites from sending traffic to ur site which has 100% bounce rate?Please keep in mind that we already used .htaccess option.
2. Will the 100% Bounce Rate related to these spam traffic will affect our SEO and SERPs?

We are also using Segments on Google Analytics where filters are implemented to stop the data from these referral sites from showing up. But we cant use unlimited number of filters to filter unlimited number of such spam referrals on GA in future.

Answer : 

1. Since a lot of this traffic is ghost referrals and they don't ACTUALLY visit your site, I recommend setting up Filters to only include data that occurs on your hostnames. The following article has all the details about how to set this up: http://www.analyticsedge.com/2014/12/removing-referral-spam-google-analytics/

2. Referral spam does not affect your organic rankings either.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Unable to stop traffic from Spam referral sites. Please help.

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
If you have any questions, post them below, or start a new discussion.

Re: Unable to stop traffic from Spam referral sites. Please help.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
stop