Analytics
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Traffic from facebook ads is shown as Paid search

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

i started running new Facebook ads campaign and noticed that the traffic from these ads is shown as Paid Search traffic. I'm not running any search campaigns at the moment so it was easy to spot it. 

When I click on Channels  paid search link for more details I see (not set). But when I check Source/Medium I see that the same traffic is atributed to Facebook campaigns.

Couls some one explain what is happening here? Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Gediminas, 

What do you mean by paid search traffic? All PPC campaigns going to "Paid Search" according to the Default Channel Groups. Are you wondering why its arriving there? 

Are you using UTM tagging? If so, what is your source/medium?

Best,

Josh

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Josh,

thanks for reply. Currently I dont run any AdWords campaign. The only campaign I'm running is Facebook ads traffic campaign (link clickc). From my previous experience and what I read about GA Facebook ads goes under Social not under Paid search channel.

This time traffic from Facebook ads is going under Paid search campaign. I'm using UTM tagging and source/medium shows that all this Paid search traffic comes from Facebook campaign. 

I was wondering can it be so and maybe GA changed some attribution?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

@Trabamboo S Facebook Paid advertising should be automatically placed in Paid Search, paid is supposed include anything you pay for. Social represents social media. 

Technically you can change this ... but you shouldn't. Otherwise it will make it harder for you to discern the difference between your organic social media efforts and your paid. 

But if you insist you can change the settings of your Default Channel Groups to include Facebook CPC campaigns here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6010097?hl=en#edit_default_channel_grouping

Or you should be able to circumvent it by labeling the medium 'social' instead of 'ppc' but sometimes this doesn't work. 

Again i suggest you do not do this. 

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for explanation Josh!