AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Still getting hits on a site that has been taken down?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone! We recently moved from a coded self-hosted website on our server to a new redesigned website hosted with Weebly. I have two IDs since they are two different sites, but they do use the same URL. We just moved the URL to direct to the Weebly site.

The new site is tracking things fine since it went live in October. The old website is still getting hits to the ID though.

They look to be spam and the "pages" that are getting hits are not pages that we have had before. It is very spammy looking things. The server has been taken down, so we are not sure how the ID is still getting hits. Is there a way to see what IP address people are navigating to? The URL that is still connected to the old ID is the same URL as the new ID. So if people navigated to that, they would go into our new site instead of the old one which was taken down. We think people are navigating to an IP address that had the ID connected to it possibly, and we need to figure out how the ID is being accessed because it shouldn't be. Can anyone let me know how to look into this and figure out what's going on?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Still getting hits on a site that has been taken down?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi @BenchmarkTechGroup, some of the spam can hit even if your analytics is not active. If you plan to use that code in the future I recommend you to create filters to keep your property clean.

https://www.ohow.co/ultimate-guide-to-removing-irrelevant-traffic-in-google-analytics/

If you just want to keep the historical data of the property but you won't use it anymore you can just create a dummy filter, for example, include only hostnames> and enter a random string abcdefg

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me