Analytics
6K members online now
6K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Spam traffic from Russia

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

I would really appreciate some advice in dealing with a lot of what I'm sure is spam traffic from Russia.

Even though we've never targeted this country, in the past months 30% to 60% of our monthly traffic has been from Russia. Almost all of it is direct traffic with a bounce rate of over 97% and 'visits' shorter than 4 seconds. Obviously, this is causing a lot of damage. Is there anything we can do to block visits from Russian IPs?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Spam traffic from Russia

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Catalina R,
You can create filter to include /excludes country/ies.

To craete such Filter please check @ https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034773?hl=en

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Santosh,

Thanks a lot for the advice, but wouldn't this only impact what shows in my report?
What I'm trying to do is not have them visit the site in the first place, if that is what's happening, or not have them send false data to google, if that's the case, and thus impact the site's reputation. I'm not just concerned with the accuracy of the data in my analytics view, but with what "google thinks" of the user experience that my site provides, if such a large proportion of visitors appear to bounce after 4 seconds.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Catalin,
Yes it would this only impact what shows in yourt report. I understand your point that is the only solution we have and in case of spam referrals also we can just filtere out only.

Thanks

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Hi Catalina,

Santosh solution of filtering country traffic will help, but unfortunately, there is spam showing from lots of countries including the USA. A better solution is to create a filter allowing only valid traffic with your hostnames, that way no matter which country are they coming from or what name are they using, this type of spam won't go through. You can find here a guide that will help you create that filter plus some other things to keep your analytics clean.

https://www.ohow.co/ultimate-guide-to-removing-irrelevant-traffic-in-google-analytics/

As for your other concern, you don't have to worry about negative impact on your website. Most of the spam never reach your website it gets directly into Gooogle Analytics.

Hope it helps,

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Carlos!