4.9K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Spam social traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've had the problem of referral spam traffic before but now I am getting huge spikes from Twitter, I am certain it isn't natural traffic as we don't get a huge amount from social in the first place. 

Has anyone else had this problem, or have any suggestions for how to best filter this out without excluding all of Twitter? 

Thanks, 

Sam 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Spam social traffic

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi @sam b,

There has been referral spam showing twitter.com and other legit sites in the past weeks. To make sure it is spam check the language/page title of those visits and if you see something odd it is spam. 

You shouldn't use source/referral filters in most cases because (1) the source names of the spammers are constantly changing and (2) spammers sometimes use legitimate referral names.

Instead, you should apply the filters explained in this guide. They will help you prevent any type of traffic without risking your valid data.

https://www.ohow.co/ultimate-guide-to-removing-irrelevant-traffic-in-google-analytics/

Hope it helps,

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me