Analytics
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Spam Filters

Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

This popular discussion was copied from the former Help Forum, answered by Jennifer Dell (Rising Star)

Question: My entire analytics page is spammy websites? I have created filters with no luck, any help?

Answer: Hi, thanks for your question. Have you tried using a hostname filter? The following post will explain the benefits of it as well as walk you through the setup:

https://moz.com/blog/stop-ghost-spam-in-google-analytics-with-one-filter

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Spam Filters

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
If you have any questions, post them below, or start a new discussion.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Is there no way that you can do this by default for us?
Surely this is effecting all of your users and can you imagine the number of hours needed if everybody has to do this??!!!!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Dave, I found this article: http://stony.me/filter-spam-from-google-analytics/ It is very simple way and maybe it will be helpful for you.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

I've got the follow problem. I have a website with an Google Analytics account. But I want a new Google Analytics account with a new UA tracking code.

So I created an new account and i've set up everything in the account including filters. But i did not apply the new Tracking code at my website yet.

So even I did not used the tracking code to my website. I aldready came across spam in my GA..... 31 referral visites and 14 fake organic visits.

So.... I was looking for a solution for my problem. And i hope this hostename filter helps. But what I don't know, does it exclude all referral websites? Including social media etc?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
No, this filter does not exclude referral website and social media. When you set this filter please let me know is this helped you Smiley Happy If no - we will think about another solution for you, maybe I can help))

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
The spam comes in several forms, and there are several different ways of dealing with it, but a big chunk of it will disappear once you implement a valid hostname filter as Alyona suggested.

Additional crawler spam may need to be filtered, and you can get updated filter expressions here:
http://www.analyticsedge.com/2014/12/removing-referral-spam-google-analytics/

The article also describes using a custom Segment to remove the spam from your existing reports.

I also recommend you turn on the View option to Exclude known bots & spiders, as it does have some effect.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Well I've implemented the hostname filter. But now I'm currently seeing zero traffic in my reports Smiley Happy.

Any suggestions? Otherwise i go back to the old ways. And remove this filter and start to implement other spam filters.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm not seeing any traffic at the moment in my reports. So iIguess the hostname filter is blocking all incoming traffic? I'll try your spam filters!

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
The most common mistake with hostname filters is people add a vertical bar to the beginning or end of the expression (like domain1.com!|domain2.com| ). The vertical bars must only be between values.

You should also confirm that there is actual real traffic to your hostname (audience-technology-network-hostname report), and that you have entered your hostname correctly. I have seen some accounts that were not actually collecting any real traffic because their analytics snippet was miscinfigured on their website.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.