Analytics
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Spam Filter View Not Showing Any Traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me.

I've created a filtered view for my website to try and cut the spam out. I've created a secondary view and left the default view. I've then created the include hostname filter and the exclude - campaign source filter where I've entered all of the spammy links as found in my 'Referrals' view to the Filter Pattern field, with each one separated with a '|'.

I did this yesterday and since then there is no content at all on the filtered view. I do have traffic that comes from non-spammy sources and so I'm wondering if there's something that I've not done right?

Any help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks! 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Spam Filter View Not Showing Any Traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Oh and I also selected the check box to 'Exclude all hits from known bots and spiders'

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Kayleigh,

The most common reason for that to happen is if you added an extra bar on the exclude expression. for example:

• |spammer1|spammer2
  • sapammer1||spammer2
  • spammer1|spammer2|

Another possible reason is a misconfiguration in the Include hostname so double check all your hostnames are there:

• Check if the Include valid hostnames is really set as include (by default custom filters are set as exclude)
  • If you use mysite.com and you enter www.misite.com in the expression, then it won't match

And last but not least, it may be just matter of time, GA official times are 24hrs after changes.

Hope that helps,

Carlos

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Carlos, Thanks for your help. I've checked everything that you mentioned and unfortunately it's all correct and so I'm still none the wiser! I've asked someone to take a look at it for me so hopefully it will be resolved soon! Thanks for your help! Best Regards, Kayleigh

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
If you access your website from your phone can you see the visit on the real time report (in the view without filters)
Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me