AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Source Traffic coming from own site

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

I'm having trouble with my google analytics account. We recently did a site revision and I think it's causing some data to be incorrectly captured in GA. 

First, I'm not sure if it's capturing site information from a subdomian we created: events.secureworldexpo.com. It's constantly listed as a source in the traffic report, as well as on the audience<technology<network<hostname page. 

Secondly, it is also listing our own site as a traffic source: secureworldexpo.com. It's not a big chunk of the traffic, but still indicates that something isn't being translated correctly. 

I'd love any help or insight into why it's being incorrectly configured, whether its in GA or on the site programming side, and what I can do to fix this issue. 

Thank you in advance for your help!
Yuliya

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Yuliya C :-)

when you log into the analytics interface and go to the admin page

Is the domain secureworldexpo.com added to the Referral Exclusion List for the particular property

(the parent domain being added will also automatically include the subdomains too)

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Bronwyn V

Thank you for your reply. I added the site to the referral exclusion list. One question about this, I have already excluded my company's internal IP address prior to site launch, so I guess I thought that would mitigate the referral traffic confusion that I am currently experiencing. I want to understand exactly why this happened, and would love to know if you have some sort of knowledge or guess as to why I experienced this issue?

Thank you again for your help!
Yuliya

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi again @Bronwyn V

Thank you for your help!

I added the site in the referral exclusion list on Wednesday, but I checked our GA page for yesterday's results and it is still showing up as a referral source. Is there anything else that can be causing this?

Any help would be much appreciate!
Yuliya

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Yuliya C :-)

New visitors to your site since the change, should show as the correct source.
Returning visitors to your site, that were already cookied as your site being the referrer will continue to show as coming from that referral source until such time as theycome back via a different non direct source, the campaign cookie expires (6 months) or they clear their own cookies.
You will see instances of your site being the referrer become less going forward but it does take time to correct itself.

eta..you mention your website hostname was added to the referral exclusion list prior to launch?
Are you able to provide a link to the site so as to allow one of us to take a look at the site via browser?

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Bronwyn V

Thank you for the answer, it helps a lot!

I did not add the site to the referral exclusion list prior to launch, but added the company's internal IP address to an exclusion filter. 

The URL is www.secureworldexpo.com/. 

Thank you!
Yuliya

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Usual setup configuration is that the website's hostname should be on the referral exclusion list,

this does not block the traffic, but makes sure that the original referrer is kept and that traffic moving between pages on the site are then tagged as direct/none so the original referrer does not get overwritten.
This should usually be done, regardless of any filters applied to views

http://www.annielytics.com/blog/analytics/referral-exclusion-list-google-analytics-explained/
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795830?hl=en

The internal ip filter will maybe block traffic visitors coming from that particular IP only.
What about ppl like me that visit the site from a completely different location and my own IP?

Obviously my visits should not be blocked, however you also dont want my visits to appear as your

website being the referral source.. hence the hostname being added to the referral exclusion list

Often an internal ip gets blocked, however more often, it is the external public IP that needs to be blocked instead.

If you are using the internet from that IP location.. if you go to google and type into google search - What is my IP

does the answer return the same IP that you blocked in the filter?