Analytics
6K members online now
6K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Shopify Site with two valid hostnames

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Greetings,

I recently aquired a client who has a Shopify site. When I looked at the hostnames to evaluate if filtering was set up correctly I saw the hostname for the official domain, but I am also seeing checkout.shopify.com as a hostname with and all ecommerce goal completions roll up under this hostname. I assume this is normal, but I am hoping someone can point me at a resource so I can understand the technology behind it.

Best,

K

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Shopify Site with two valid hostnames

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Kevin,

I assume you are talking about Referral exclusion. If this is the case then yes if you exclude a hostname all sub domains also get excluded too. Here is link to the Google Analytics referral exclusion list.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795830?hl=en

Hopefully this helps,
Omar

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
It does! Thanks for the help.

If I am reading this article correctly, my client's data is a bit off since they are using Shopify. If I understand the implications of this article the user journey looks something like this:

1. Arrive at mysite.com.
2. Add product to cart on mysite.com
3. Checkout and remit payment via shopify.checkout.com
4. Return to mysite.com /thank-you

Double-checking my logic, I can see that all revenue was generated from shopify.checkout.com via the Aquisition -> All Traffic -> Referrals report.

If this is correct, then any user making a purchase has 2 sessions attributed to what should be 1 session. In this case my client's total conversion rate is probably a good deal higher than the data would suggest, correct?

What isn't clear from Google's documentation (that you helpfully provided, many thanks) is whether or not the change is retroactively applied to the data in the property. @Omar Do you know if the exclusion is applied retroactively?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
With that checkout step list above, the shopify.checkout.com should be in the referral exclusion list. By adding that domain a user can exit your site to the pay page and come back to your /thank-you page without creating a new session.

This is very important for attribution because without that referral exclusion all your ecommerce attribution will be reported as the shopify domain rather than the true referral which could have been an email campaign or a paid media source.

The exclusion is applied to the property level of your account. This change will not however fix your old data, only new data coming in will follow your new exclusion.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Shopify documentation is actually pretty good on the setup requirements, including the Referral Exclusion List settings :
https://help.shopify.com/manual/reports-and-analytics/google-analytics/exclude-referrer-domains
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.