Analytics
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Several Sharebutton.to Spams-HELP!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

As I teach myself Google Analytics, I've just discovered that a huge source of "organic" traffic is spam and sharebutton.to written in different ways. Here is a pic at what I'm looking at: 

share.to.jpgWhat is the easiest way to exclude all of these lines? I already used a tutorial and filtered out sharebutton.to but now I'm wondering if I have to do that for ALL the above lines. Additionally once I perform the filter, I'm assuming it's only on future traffic and doesn't remove all this spam from historical data? When you respond, please really dumb it down for me! Don't assume I know what I'm doing. Smiley Happy -Angela 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Angela :-)
unfortunately spam filters are not set and forget, reports need to be watched and filters may need tweaking or new filters added over time.

The following article is a long read but highly recommended. 
I would probably read thru it once to get the gist of it.. and then take the time to slowly read thru it a 2nd (or even more times) as you learn about the different types of spam data that can affect your account & ways to check for it.
It will also walk you thru how to setup the required filters to help keep data clean going forwards, 

and how to setup custom segments so as to look back at historical data without all the rubbish

http://help.analyticsedge.com/spam-filter/definitive-guide-to-removing-google-analytics-spam/

To start with, i would do all of this in a newly created View named Test View or similar.
That way you wont lose main View reporting data if you configure a filter wrong while learning.

Please post back if you have further questions, need further help :-)

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ah, thank you so much! I will read the article (several times) and hopefully get a game plan going. Again, thank you and have a great day! -Angela