Analytics
4K members online now
4K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Segmenting Spam Referrals and Valid Hostnames

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm just wondering about filtering out my spam referrals using the valid hostname technique.

I understand that by only including your own domain as a hostname and any other domains that are configured for tracking you can get rid of the historical spam data.  I was just wondering whether linkedin and twitter should be showing up along with my own domain?

I'm sure we use UTM tracking on Linkedin and Twitter to monitor the traffic arriving at our blog posts from these sites, but I can't see them on the host domains list.  I don't want to exclude them with the spam referrals if we are tracking them, but should they be showing up in the hostnames menu?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chris F
April 2016

Re: Segmenting Spam Referrals and Valid Hostnames

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Chris,
I will suggest you to try "Referral Exclusion" which will not exclude your traffic but the referral host and will show you actual source medium.
Go to Analytics>Admin>Property>Tracking Info>Referral Exclusion List

Thanks
Vivek

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Vivek,

Thanks for your response. Will I have to do this every time for every new spammy referral? I'm concerned that as the site and the business grows it may be too big a task to keep doing it for all the sites.

Also will that eliminate the spam results from historical reporting as segmentation would do?

Thanks for your help.

Chris

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Chris,
You need not to do each time, just Exclude such referral sites which are impacting on huge traffic and conversions. If it is happening for big numbers then contact to your webmaster, the most probably reason may be your website on checkout process or conversion page is restricting cookies and generating a new sessions which are confusing google so they are reporting it as referral.

Thanks
Vivek